Whitestone REIT (NYSE: WSR) is a real estate investment trust ( REIT ) that acquires, owns, manages, develops and redevelops high quality internet-resistant neighborhood, community and lifestyle centers. Whitestone REIT is seeking a Real Estate Counsel to support the day-to-day real estate legal needs of the Company. The position is located in Houston, Texas. The position will report to the Company s Corporate Counsel and is responsible for managing legal related matters involving Company real estate, providing strategic legal advice, and supporting the leasing, property management and acquisition/asset management teams. Elements of the Position:
- Negotiating and reviewing tenant leases, assignments and amendments;
- Working with members of the leasing, property management and accounting teams in connection with real property issues (including periodic training of business people on real estate legal concepts/terms and regular review and updating of legal form documents);
- Preparing and responding to tenant correspondence and managing tenant default actions;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating purchase/sale contracts and closing documents for the purchase and sale of commercial real estate (including transaction financing);
- Performing and reviewing due diligence on real property acquisitions and dispositions;
- Providing litigation support on matters and disputes involving company real estate;
- Monitoring deal flow and balancing priorities to make sure projects are handled on time and according to Company policies.
- JD degree from an ABA accredited law school;
- Membership in good standing with the Texas bar;
- Minimum 5 years of legal experience that includes practice at a law firm and/or in-house;
- Thorough knowledge of commercial real estate law, particularly from the landlord side;
- Experience directly negotiating retail leases, lease amendments and related documents;
- Experience directly negotiating contracts for purchase and sale of commercial real estate;
- Familiarity with and experience performing due diligence review and transaction closings in connection with real estate acquisitions and dispositions;
- Successful candidate needs to be an adept advisor and able to work within a team.
This job is no longer active.