As an integral member of the Portfolio Analytics team, the Associate or Sr. Associate will work closely with USAA Real Estate's portfolio management, asset management, investor relations, accounting and the senior leadership to facilitate the investment decision making and operational processes. This position will be responsible for creating and maintaining various investment and fund-level models for insightful analytics, ongoing portfolio monitoring, forecasting, and ad-hoc support for multiple real estate private equity funds.
- Review the deals and fees structures through terms sheet and model the deals and fees for investor presentations.
- Review historical performance against projections and present the reasons for variances.
- Assist with creation of department policies, procedures, and process documentation.
- Assist Performance Measurement, Attribution and Reporting (“PAR”) team with review of final quarterly performance calculations, populating data warehouses for asset and fund-level reporting, and performance attribution analysis.
- Closely interact with and assist the PAR and Global Investors Group (“GIG”) units in responding in a timely and accurate manner to ad-hoc client requests.
- Corroborate with the other team members on automation's, efficiency improvement and thought leadership initiatives.
- Assist in preparation of white papers, thought leaderships and other publication material.
- Create, enhance, and maintain detailed fund models used for capturing historical asset and fund-level performance, projecting forward-looking operational performance, ensuring compliance with leverage restrictions, and calculating asset and fund-level metrics used in the investment decision making process.
- Provide new investment impact analysis (accretion/dilution of projected fund returns, leverage impact, distribution yield, etc.) to portfolio management team during the acquisition underwriting process.
- Create, enhance, and maintain fund-specific dashboards to summarize current portfolio positioning, historical performance, capacity for additional investment, and forward-looking operational and performance projections.
- Coordinate with accounting, treasury, asset management, portfolio management and legal teams to facilitate the operation of funds and separate accounts. Oversee cash management process, short-term borrowings and quarterly distribution process, among other things.
- Maintain upcoming “sources and uses” schedule of cash activity to ensure appropriate liquidity is maintained while keeping cash balances to a minimum. Keep portfolio management up to date on cash position and upcoming sources and uses.
- Review quarterly asset valuations and waterfall calculations; communicate performance impact of changes in asset valuations to portfolio management team.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS), in Finance/Economics/Business Administration/Accounting or related field.
- 3+ years of applicable hands-on professional experience, in a quantitative or analytic-based role.
- Real estate private equity, fund modelling, deal structuring, fees structuring, or private equity product control experience.
- Advanced Excel skills; experience creating forecasting and waterfall models with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to create detailed and dynamic forecast models, summarize the results, and effectively communicate to senior leadership and external clients.
- Progress towards or willingness to pursue the CFA or CAIA designations.
- Ability to work extended hours as needed.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment to achieve broader organizational goals.
- Strong project management and interpersonal skills, attention to detail and the ability to multi-task under recurring time constraints.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly proficient in Office applications, particularly Excel.
- Strong understanding of private equity fund structures and operations.
- Willingness and ability to take initiative and leadership role on key projects.
- Ability to prioritize assignments to meet numerous deadlines.
- Excellent analytical, quantitative and problem-solving skills.
- Anaplan, Hyperion, Alteryx, MS- BI or other Cognitive Software modelling and working knowledge preferred.
- Data Visualization skills in MS Power BI, Tableau etc. preferred.
- Qualifications may warrant placement in different job title.
- Regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; frequently required to stand, walk, and use business equipment daily such as computer, copier, fax, telephone, etc.; frequently required to reach overhead, bend, and lift objects of up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to handle stress caused by multiple priorities, and other unforeseen situations associated with the organization.
- Eyesight and hearing must be correctable to standard level.
USAA Real Estate is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer of Females, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled.
- Portfolio Management
- Research/Market Analysis
2+ to 5 years