Come grow with us! We are One Rayonier, a team that works together to create value by maintaining a strong safety culture, challenging the status quo, giving back to our communities, being innovative, continuously learning and leading the way. After more than 90 years, Rayonier is still uncovering new ways to make lives better with our trees, our land, and — our most important resource — our people.
We strive to create an employee experience that makes you proud to be a part of the Rayonier team. We are committed to maintaining an inclusive and collaborative environment where you can be who you are and valued for your unique talents and perspectives. Rayonier is big enough to offer you professional growth and development opportunities, yet small enough for you to know every coworker by name. Come join a team that empowers you to make a difference!
As a key leader in the finance organization, the individual in this role must have strong leadership skills, diverse professional and technical skills, and exceptional judgment. Reporting to the VP of Financial Services and Corporate Controller, the Tax Director is responsible for providing leadership within the department, identifying effective strategies, establishing tax-related priorities and directing all tax planning-related activities of Rayonier and its subsidiaries.
- Perform REIT specific and non-REIT specific income and transactional tax research, modeling and analysis and the integration of tax planning with Rayonier Law Department, business unit controllers and the Controller's accounting staff.
- Monitor proposed federal, state, local and foreign legislation, cases and rulings to advise management on basic business structure decisions and mode of operations to minimize tax cost impact.
- Prepare tax analyses and forecasts required to evaluate major projects, ongoing business decisions and to prepare business plans and budgets.
- Supervise and manage tax department of two tax professionals and be the primary tax liaison with other internal departments (Forest Operations, Real Estate Accounting, IT, Financial Services, etc).
- Perform strategic planning and review of potential investments for purposes of determining REIT qualification and developing alternative ownership structures as appropriate.
Education Level Required: A JD, LLM, MST, and/or MBA with a CPA preferred.
Experience Required: Candidates for the position must have at least 10-15 years of experience within the Tax function of a substantial, publicly held U.S. Corporation (and/or substantial law or accounting firm experience supporting such clients).
- Candidates for the position must be an approachable individual and subject-matter expert who gains trust and confidence quickly through consensus building and who can operate effectively within a dynamic and changing organization.
- Prior experience as a Tax function leader with a significant span of responsibility and influence over domestic and international tax matters, tax planning and advocacy.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines and turnaround requests in a high-pressure, time-constrained situation.
- Partner with internal counsel and direct external tax counsel on complex corporate matters.
Rayonier is committed to maintaining a drug free work environment that promotes diversity and is free of discrimination.
10+ to 15 years